Resourcing and implementing the mission
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To work closely with the Vicar as part of the senior leadership team at St Mary’s to operationally resource and realise our vision to see God change lives, families, and churches again and again.
- Line Manager: Vicar
- Reporting: Standing Committee and PCC as required
- The post holder will be a member of the Leadership Team and the Standing Committee.
Our new Head of Operations will play a key role in ensuring the smooth running and co-ordination of all church operations including our strategic planning, and the management of people and resources. They will be a strong operational leader and have oversight of a portfolio of operational areas including strategic development, financial and HR systems, legal compliance, buildings and facilities management, office management, IT management and events management.
As we look to grow and develop our role as a resourcing church, the Head of Operations will also be instrumental in helping us develop the network of relationships that will lead to greater impact.
As with all operational leadership positions, we expect that this role will continue to develop over time as the church grows in its mission and as leadership and management of church life becomes more complex.
Strategy and Development
Working to realise the vision recently set by the Vicar and PCC by developing and taking forward operational strategies that support the mission and growth of the church.
- Identify patterns and problem areas within all aspects of our operations, and implement solutions that will increase our effectiveness and impact
- Review our operational effectiveness as a community on mission, reporting regularly to the leadership and PCC on progress
Developing and managing people
Taking a lead in ensuring we have the right people in the right roles in order to fulfil our vision.
- Ensure processes are in place for mobilising, training, and developing volunteers individually and in teams.
- Management of the Church office and administration team (including recruitment, coordination, and development of all (admin) staff and volunteers
- Provide effective project management duties, including overseeing project completion timelines, monitoring project costs, and ensuring the projects are completed in good time and on budget
- Oversee the HR systems and processes needed for recruitment, selection and training and development of staff and volunteers, and ensure that our HR processes, systems, and procedures are compliant, up to date and communicated and implemented fully.
- Provide leadership in the staff team, including opportunities for coaching and development, to maximise work output and work quality
Making sure that the day-to-day running of Church life is smooth running and efficient
- Ensure the ministerial team are resourced and equipped for all church events and services. This includes Sunday services, occasional services, meetings, courses, Alpha, student gatherings, youth and children’s work and other developing ministries.
- Overseeing the church management systems necessary to ensure new people are connected into church family quickly and efficiently at services and other events and that existing members remain connected and engaged.
- Working with the PCC and key staff to implement logistical systems to ensure the smooth running of services, events, and church family activities.
- Ensure the communications database and other communication systems are of a high quality, fit for purpose and legally compliant.
- Developing and ensuring the effective use of our IT and phone systems.
- Overseeing the ongoing development and compliance of our Church policies, including staffing policies, copyright, safeguarding, and health and safety.
Financial Management and development
Working with the PCC, Treasurer and Finance Team to ensure our financial strategy is implemented robustly and that we have the right resources available as we seek to grow.
- Oversee all purchasing – maintaining contracts with suppliers for the Church and Church centre including photocopier, stationery, catering supplies and arranging for payment of invoices.
- Work with the Treasurer to ensure that financial controls are implemented appropriately, and that accurate and timely financial reports are available to inform decision making.
Buildings Oversight and Development
Working with the Wardens, PCC, and Lettings Manager to manage and develop the use our Church buildings and housing stock in line with our vision.
- Ensure the historic fabric of the Church, the Heath Church, the Church Centre, and our housing stock, is cared for, maintained, insured, kept secure and developed.
- Ensure all areas of buildings management and maintenance are in hand to provide a safe and welcoming environment within all of our buildings.
- Ensure the historical and heritage aspects of the buildings are appropriately profiled and made available to the community and general public in line with our vision for Open Church.
- Assist with the preparation of Faculties and maintaining records and ensure that Diocesan reporting requirements are met.
Creating and sustaining a purposeful and enjoyable office environment
- Ensure the staff have adequate workspace and ensure the smooth and safe running of the offices.
- Ensure that all relevant policies, legal obligations, and procedures are followed and reviewed regularly.
- Oversee systems used to managing holiday, sickness and expenses.
Networks and Partnership
Working with the Vicar and Leadership Team to develop and participate in networks that support the vision and mission of the church
- Support the development of relationships with the Diocese, the Deanery, New Wine, and other churches and discipleship networks, as we seek to be a resourcing hub and plant churches.
- Maintain links with other organisations and ensure appropriate reporting to the Southwark Diocese, including the annual report, electoral roll, and ministry statistics.
- Oversee the interface between the church operations and our external partners including all cross charging, coordination of systems and calendars.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Hours: a flexible full-time role Monday to Friday with some Sundays and evenings required. (A four-day role may be considered for the right candidate)
- Salary: £30-35k depending on experience
- Annual Leave: 5 weeks per annum
- Active Christian faith, passionate about the mission of St Mary’s Reigate*
- Strategic, innovative thinker
- Strong operational experience with the ability to lead, oversee and develop the operational aspects of a larger and growing church
- Ability to implement and oversee completion of tasks and projects to conclusion
- Experience and ability in leading teams and developing people
- Experience in negotiating with diverse stakeholders
- Experience in using financial information to inform decision making
- Ability to balance large-scale and small-scale vision
- Excellent organisational skills, including delegation and managing under pressure
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience of and enthusiasm for finding the best technology for management purposes
- Experience of working with commercial business partners
- Experience of working in a senior operational management role in a church/ non-profit or secular setting
- Understanding of the missional challenges that the church faces and experience of putting strategic plans into action to address these
- Understanding of Church of England structures and practice
- A willingness to make St Mary’s Reigate your church family and place of worship
- 2 referees.
- Enhanced DBS
- If you are interested in the role, you may want to have an informal conversation with Richard before making your application
- To apply, please email a CV with a covering letter, outlining your particular experience, qualities and competencies, and why you would be successful in this role, to Richard Wilson: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any requests for information should be addressed to Richard Wilson – email@example.com or you can call him on 07875 959339
- Deadline for application: noon on Monday 30th November
- Shortlisting: Monday 30th November
- Interviews: Friday 4th December (or Monday 7th December)
*Genuine Occupational Requirement
This role is a senior role within the life of St Mary’s and the postholder will be a core part of the senior leadership of the church. As such they will not only be representing the ethos of the Church, but also helping us to develop and progress our religious goals and ambitions. Due to the significance of the profile and position of this role within the life of St Mary’s Church, and in accordance with the Equality Act 2010, it is a genuine occupational requirement that the post holder is a practicing Christian and we would expect them to adhere to our values as a church.
Our Context and Vision
Background context – The need for this role
St Mary’s is entering a new chapter of mission and ministry and with a vision is to see God changing lives, families, and churches, again and again, we are excited to be appointing a senior leader to help us fulfil our potential as a growing and resourcing church.
Over the last decade St Mary’s has significantly developed and reordered our buildings, systems and structures, getting us ready for a new season of outreach and growth and we have also appointed leaders to deepen our worship, strengthen our pastoral care, develop our discipleship pathway and leadership pipeline, advance mission to the next generation, and oversee the discipleship of families, children, and young people.
Taking over from Viv Hawes, who has been in post for the almost 10 years, we are looking to appoint an experienced leader gifted in developing and implementing plans and strategies that will ensure that the systems that support the ministry, mission and growth of the church family are efficient, innovative, and sustainable.
A new chapter
St Mary’s is already a busy church, full of people and of life. There are over 500 individuals currently on the electoral roll of St Mary’s and the Heath Church, with an average total Sunday attendance of around over 450. Our prayer is that over the next decade we will see God grow his church here in Reigate and that our impact as a church might expand and develop.
A vision for growth, based on making disciples, planting and resourcing churches, and developing our work with families, is taking shape and needs implementing. Invited by the Diocese and New Wine to see ourselves as a resourcing hub in the region we sense God’s calling on us as a church into a new chapter of mission and life.
St Mary’s is blessed with a dedicated and able staff team who work together to lead and coordinate us in worship, discipleship, mission, and pastoral care:
- Richard Wilson has been in post since July 2018 having moved from Twerton, an estate on the edge of Bath where he was also Area Dean.
- Kate Capper has oversight of our pastoral care and the Heath Church.
- Nigel Griffiths was appointed as our new Associate Vicar for Discipleship and Leadership Development in 2019
- Erin Gilmour, our curate, has just been priested and is helping to develop our mission and evangelism
- Ali Foulkes is our full time Associate Minister responsible for worship including music and tech teams.
- Josh Brown is our full time Associate Minister leading the work with the next generation (18+s)
- Martin Saunders is currently our part-time Associate Minister responsible for Youth (school years 7-13)
- Gen Griffiths and Charles Merritt are our part-time Associate Ministers responsible for children in preschool, reception, and school years 1-6.
Honorary Assistant Clergy
- We have two further ordained Ministers who lead and preach and are involved in various other ways in the life of the church. Danielle Robinson is a retired Hospital Chaplain with PTO, while Mike Fox is a retired Vicar living locally, also with PTO.
- Alongside the less formalised lay ministry that many members of St Mary’s take part in, we have a licensed Reader, Ian Nott
- The administration team is currently in transition due to recent changes in personnel. It is made up of paid staff and supported by volunteers. A vital early task for the Operations Lead will be to appoint a Church Administrator and to establish a new Administration Team structure. Nikki Roessler is our Lettings Manager (p/t) and Vineeta Chiles is an Administrative Assistant. The team is supported by a large number of committed volunteers including our Treasurer, Alastair Rubie and a small finance team.
Further information about St Mary’s Reigate can be found on our website www.stmaryreigate.org